- Wal-Mart de Mexico (Walmex), reported April same store sales that were up 7.8 percent over the same month last year. Total sales for the month were the equivalent of $885 million (US), up 13.4% from April 2002.
- Delhaize, which owns US chains Food Lion, Hannaford Bros. and Kash n' Karry, posted a 4.2 percent fall in net profit to the equivalent of $52.6 million (US), far better than the 20 percent decrease that analysts had been predicting.
Sales, however, were off close to 14 percent, to the equivalent of $5.34 billion (US).
- BJ's Wholesale Club Inc.'s posted April same-store sales that were up 4.8 percent. Total April sales increased 14.4 percent to $ 457.3 million from $399.7 million a year earlier.
First-quarter same-store sales rose 5.7 percent, while total sales were up 15.7 percent to $1.44 billion from $1.25 billion last year.
- Dollar General Corp. posted April same-store sales that were up 5.9 percent, with total sales for the four weeks ended May 2 up 14.8 percent to $490.3 million from $427.2 million a year ago.
- Family Dollar Stores Inc. posted a 7.1 percent increase in April same-store sales, with total sales for the four-week period ended May 3 reaching $366.1 million, up 17.9 percent from the same period a year earlier.
- KC's View: