Published on: September 22, 2014
Albertsons and Safeway have named the senior leadership team that will lead the combined companies when their merger is completed before the end of the fourth quarter, assuming antitrust regulators give it the expected go-ahead.
"We're drawing on the strong talent within both companies to build an innovative, customer-focused and growth-driven company," said Safeway President/CEO Robert Edwards, who will serve as the combined company's president and CEO. "We are confident in this team's ability to build a great company that's positioned to win over the long term by earning the loyalty of grocery shoppers in every market we serve and delivering superior operational and financial results."
Bob Miller, Albertsons current CEO, will become Executive Chairman of the combined company upon completion of the transaction. In a prepared statement, he said that the structure is designed to "give our store teams more flexibility to make decisions that are right for their neighborhoods. The division teams will have the responsibility to have the right assortment for their markets."
No banner changes are planned, the companies said.
The top leadership team will be:
• Bob Gordon, Executive Vice President & General Counsel;
• Shane Sampson, Executive Vice President, Marketing & Merchandising;
• Andy Scoggin, Executive Vice President, Human Resources, Labor Relations, Public Affairs & Government Affairs;
• Jerry Tidwell, Executive Vice President, Supply Chain & Manufacturing;
• Lee Wilson, Executive Vice President & Chief Administrative Officer;
• Bob Dimond, Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, reporting to Mr. Wilson;
• Justin Ewing, Executive Vice President, Corporate Development & Real Estate, reporting to Mr. Wilson;
• Barry Libenson, Interim Executive Vice President & Chief Information Officer, reporting to Mr. Wilson. Mr. Libenson is expected to be with the new company through March 2015, at which time a successor will be named.
• Wayne Denningham, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, South Region;
• Justin Dye, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, East Region;
• Kelly Griffith, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, North Region.
The companies said that "the new company will be comprised of three regions and 14 retail divisions … The 14 divisions will be supported by corporate offices in Boise, ID, Pleasanton, CA, and Phoenix, AZ."
The division presidents for the new company, who will report to the chief operating officer for their respective regions, will be:
• Dennis Bassler, Portland Division, North Region;
• Paul McTavish, Denver Division, North Region;
• Susan Morris, Intermountain Division, North Region;
• Tom Schwilke, Northern California Division, North Region;
• Dan Valenzuela, Seattle Division, North Region;
• Shane Dorcheus, Southwest Division, South Region;
• Scott Hayes, Southern Division, South Region;
• Sidney Hopper, Houston Division, South Region;
• Lori Raya, Southern California Division, South Region;
• Robert Taylor, United Division, South Region;
• Steve Burnham, Eastern Division, East Region;
• Jim Perkins, Acme Division, East Region;
• Jim Rice, Shaw's Division, East Region;
• Mike Withers, Jewel-Osco Division, East Region